What is Egg Freckles?
No. it doesn’t make much sense. Which is why the cartoonist Garry Trudeau coined this apt (or inept) bit of idiocy to lampoon the original hand-held Newton computer’s difficulty in deciphering handwriting.
After years of supporting people and their computers I have found that, like the comic, human expectations and technological capabilities rarely coincide. I started Egg Freckles to share my own experiences with technology.
Who are you?
Why an Apple Newton?
Apple’s dud from the 90’s may not seem like an exciting theme for a tech website, but the Newton still has a lot to teach us.
- Newton OS is a document centric operating system that values your data over your apps. When you boot a Newton the first thing you see is last note you were working on; not a screen full of app icons the way most computers work today.
- The Newton’s handwriting recognition got better and some say matches technology made by Microsoft more than a decade later.
- Despite being a device developed before its time, the Newton is still beloved and supported by a small community of dedicated users. Thanks to their efforts advancements such as wireless networking made there way onto the Newton long after Apple turned off the lights.
The small print?
- Powered by Kirby, a CMS written by Bastian Allgeier.
- Valid HTML5, CSS3, and RSS 2.0.
- Hosting is provided by Scripts maintained by SIPB at MIT.
- Doonesbury was created by Garry Trudeau.
- Newton and the Apple logo are trademarks of Apple Inc.
- MessagePad photography by Grant Hutchinson.
- All content Copyright © 2018 Thomas Brand